For over 30 years, Furman has pioneered the development of AC power products for the most demanding audio, video, and broadcast professionals. Furman’s Series Multi-Stage Protection (SMP) delivers the purest AC power and the most comprehensive protection available — going far beyond what is found in traditional surge strips. With Furman’s Power Station Series, everyone can reap the benefits of unrivaled power purification and unequalled surge protection.
Today’s overworked, outdated power grid delivers poor quality AC power. When connecting sensitive equipment to regular power outlets, AC noise masks and distorts critical signal information which cripples performance. This is why it’s more important that ever to purify or clean the AC powering your sensitive audio/video equipment.
The PST-8 D features Furman’s SMP circuit which incorporates Linear Filtering Technology (LiFT) and a high current TVZ-MOV to insure that any electronic device (including televisions, projectors, CD-DVD players, or computers) is fed clean, filtered AC power. This dramatically reduces noise, ensuring consistent peak performance from your equipment.
Typical AC filters feature antiquated non-linear circuits. Though these multiple stage filters or power cleaners reduce some noise, they do so unevenly. In fact, they can add noise to your power line due to their filter’s excessive resonant peaking. With Furman’s proprietary Linear Filtering Technology (LiFT), AC noise is suppressed evenly, assuring maximum performance from your system.
Additionally, today’s power grid commonly experiences numerous electrical surges and spikes on a daily basis. At best, these irregularities can degrade your equipment’s performance, and, at worst, can severely damage your entire system. Furman’s SMP circuit offers the highest degree of protection available without sacrificing itself or any of its components.
Conventional AC conditioners employing older technologies leak voltage to circuit ground which can, in fact, aid in damaging sensitive digital circuits such as computer processors. Furman’s new technology, however, never directs voltage to the circuit ground further ensuring the safety of your equipment.
Another feature that is unique to Furman’s SMP circuit is automatic extreme-voltage shutdown. Extreme voltages are statistically the most common, damaging AC event. The Extreme Voltage Shutdown circuit automatically turns off the unit when it is fed 137 volts or higher protecting itself and connected equipment from the extreme voltage. Only Furman offers this degree of protection! Add telco and cable /satellite transient voltage suppression, and you have what is, unquestionably, the most comprehensive protection available in a portable AC power conditioner.
Advantages of SMP technology
(only found in Furman products)
- virtually no down-time during surge spikes - The SMP circuit is tested to be able to handle 6000V, 3000A pulses
- The SMP system not only protects your equipment, but it protects itself! It absorbs voltage spikes like a sponge and while most ordinary surge protectors would blow, the Furman ones can absorb the spike over and over again without getting damaged.
- Clamping voltage is one of the most important specifications you need to look at. Clamping voltage is the maximum amount of voltage that can pass through a voltage surge suppression system after the circuit has clamped and dissipated the incoming spike. If the surge protector has a rating that is too high then you are endangering your equipment, by allowing the high voltage surge to run through to your rack gear. The SMP system by Furman allow 188 Volt peak pass-through, while most products on the market allow 200V to pass through. This is extremely important to consider.
- Free of ground contamination: Most surge suppressors can increase the damage of your equipment over time unless the surge and protection circuit is completely free of ground contamination. Furman products are free of ground contamination. (It can take a year, 2 years, or 3 years, of surge spikes, but other surge protectors with out ground protection will over-time damage your equipment), With Furman's SMP, no surge hits the ground, it is absorbed like a sponge and dissipated keeping your rack gear safe from ground contamination.
- Linear filtering technology helps eliminate transverse mode noise. Older technology would just filter out certain frequencies constantly no matter what, however Furman's all new linear filtering technology will constantly update the frequencies it filters based on the audio or video that is being played. This means it will only filter out unwanted noises, while other filtering technologies will filter out certain frequencies which are important. This is un-acceptable, which is why it only makes sense to buy a Furman product.
Surge protection and why it is important:
This is the most important component you will have in your rack. The reason is because if you do not have a good surge protector that is reliable, all your equipment can easily blow out and stop working. A simple surge in voltage coming from the AC outlet can cause this to happen. Get the Furman PST-8D and keep your expensive equipment protected!
Click here to view the instruction manual for this product
(Link opens in a new window)
- SMP provides the highest level of protection available
- LiFT significantly reduces AC line noise
- E.V.S. protects equipment from dangerous overvoltage conditions
- Zero ground contamination circuitry assures the delivery of pure AC power thus protecting critical audio/video components
- Cable satellite and Telco connectors deliver advanced protection to connected equipment
- Isolated outlet banks keep digital and analog components from interferring with each other
- Sturdy Aluminium chassis
- 3 year warranty from manufacturer and from Audiosavings (we are authorized Furman dealers)
||6 Watts for display and control circuits independant of actual load|
|AC Noise Attenuation:
||Transverse (Differential) Mode:|
> 40 dB from 150 kHz - 100 MHz > 80dB from 100 kHz - 1GHz
||2.75” H x 3.75” W x 18.5” D|
|Transient Voltage Surge Suppression:
||120 VAC - Series Multi-Stage Protection (SMP) with a high current TVZ-MOV- Non-sacrificial with zero ground contamination|
(188 V peak clamping @ 6000V 3000A input)
Extreme Voltage Shutdown (EVS) (>135 VAC)
Cable/Satellite (less than .1dB insertion loss) (2 pairs)
|AC Current Capacity:
||Input - 15 Amps capacity required|
Output - 15 Amps RMS (Maximum, all outlets combined - continuous)
||4 digital-ultrasonic noise filtered outlets|
4 linearly filtered outlets
|Safety Agency Listing:
||C-UL (UL standard #1449, #1363)|
||The PST-8 D is protected by a three year limited warranty covering defects in materials and workmanship (see manual for details).|
For over 30 years Furman has been the, hands-down leader, and most trusted brand name for AC Conditioning, AC Regulation, balanced Isolation transformers, Power Sequencing, and Power Distribution for audio, video, and broadcast professionals. Furman is used by the best studios, DJ's, clubs, professional musicians, contractors, and audio engineers across the world. They choose Furman because of reliability, quality, engineering expertise, and because Furman knows the specific needs of professionals who can't afford to have downtime or equipment failure.#1 Authorized Internet Retailer!